Friday, July 9, 2010

My 64th experiment: sourdough rye bread attempt 2

With my first wild yeast rye culture, I've made one mini loaf and saved half the culture for future. After a week, I just feel the urge to finish it off. So today I make my second attempt on sourdough rye bread. This time turns out to be much better in terms of the overall flavor of the loaf. For this experiment, I do not even have a recipe. Things are added on an ad hoc basis. The culture is fed twice, first on the day that it's thawed, then on the day that it is made into the final dough. At the end of it, I've arrived at a good balance of taste. For one mini loaf of this particular batch of sourdough, I add 1 TB olive oil, 1+1/2 TB unsulphured molasses and  3/4 tp salt. The molasses makes a great contribution in balancing the sour flavor.

Results:

Day 1
Day 1, 4:01pm, sourdough culture taken out of the freezer, thawed, to be refreshed with more rye flour and water:

Day 1, 4:08pm, sourdough culture refreshed:

Day 1, 7:09pm, sourdough left on counter for 3 hours after refreshment added:

Day 2
Day 2, 11:51am, sourdough stirred after sitting overnight on counter:

Day 2, 6:41pm, sourdough sitting on counter through evening and overnight:

Day 3
Day 3, 3:06pm, sourdough on the third day on counter top (indoor temperature has been around 75-80F throughout the past days):

Day 3, 3:09pm, texture of the sourdough after overnight sitting:

Day 3, 3:11pm, add about 1/4 cup rye flour, water to hydrate, then 1 TB oil, 1+1/2 TB molasses, and 3/4 tp salt:

Day 3, 3:15pm, final dough made:

Day 3, 3:16pm, final dough's ability to stand:

Day 3, 5:35pm, final dough rested for 2 hours on counter top in warm kitchen (baking something else):

Day 3, 5:35pm, final dough's risen height:

Day 3, 5:36pm, dough's texture:

Day 3, 5:39pm, dough's height when transferred to pan:

Day 3, 5:40pm, dough with very gently flattened top:

Day 3, 5:40pm, dough's corner view:

Day 3, 5:51pm, dough to bake:

Day 3, 6:03pm, loaf baked 13 minutes:

Day 3, 6:03pm, loaf's height after baking the first 13 minutes:

Loaf returned to oven covered with foil, to resume baking at 350F.

Day 3, 6:56pm, loaf baked 53 minutes:

Day 3, 6:56pm, thermometer coming out not completely clean:

Loaf returned to oven to bake at 350F for another 20-30 minutes, then left in closed oven for 1.5 hours. Oven NOT opened once while heat is off.

Day 3, 8:58pm, loaf left in oven for over 2 hours:

Day 3, 8:58pm, loaf's height:

Day 3, 9:00pm, loaf being dug out:

Day 3, 9:01pm, loaf successfully detached from pan:

Day 3, 9:02pm, loaf's top:

Day 3, 9:02pm, loaf's side:

Day 3, 9:02pm, loaf's corner:

Day 3, 9:03pm, loaf sliced, knife coming out clean:

Day 3, 9:03pm, loaf's crumb and crust:

Day 3, 9:05pm, loaf being shaved of the burnt sides and bottom:

Day 3, 9:06pm, a bite:

Observations:
1. Since sourdough is rather unpredictable, it's probably best to taste a little of the dough while adjusting the flavor.
2. I think, the dough springs up rapidly at its final stage at least because of two reasons: the heat of the kitchen, and the sugar in the molasses.
3. I think this is my best sourdough loaf so far, in terms of both the texture and the flavor. I am happy about the oven spring. The sweetness of molasses helps balance off much of the strong sour flavor of the dough. The only down side of this loaf is the burnt sides and bottom. Cooked for too long!

This loaf is truly a reward that encourages me to venture more into the territory of rye bread.

However, though I tremendously enjoy the flavor of this loaf, my digestive system is less excited about it. This is the second time that I have problem the day after eating this loaf. And this loaf and my previous loaf comes from the same culture. So I wonder if there is just something in the culture that my digestive system cannot handle.

No comments:

Post a Comment