Friday, May 14, 2010

My 35th experiment: you call that naan? hahahahahah!

Well, I've been thinking of naan for a while. My husband and I like going to a local Indian restaurant that serves very good Indian buffet. Whenever we are there, we notice that all the patrons there are Indians. I like the food there very much. We like naan. So when my neighborhood International grocery store has atta flour on sale at $7.99 for 20lbs, I can't resist getting a bag. Here comes my first naan.... As it turns out, it's more like a fried bread because of the ample oil I've rubbed onto the dough!!! I think I've made a pizza out of it.

Recipe: My first naan (for 2)

Ingredients:
- 1+1/2 cup Golden Temple atta flour
- 1 tp active dry yeast
- 1/2 tp salt
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 TB olive oil

Procedure:
1. Proof yeast in 2 TB warm water.
2. Mix flour and salt. Add yeast and yogurt. Incrementally add water until a strong dough is formed.
3. Rub in the oil.
4. Allow the dough to ferment overnight.
5. Warm up dough. Add extra water to make a sticky stretchy dough.
6. Coat a pizza pan with 1 TB oil. Stretch dough on it. Allow to rise for 1 hour.
7. Turn oven to broil at 500F. Place naan on the top rack. Allow to cook for 3-5 minutes. Flip and cook the other side.

Results:
Day 1, 8:26pm, initial dough:

Day 1, 9:00pm, dough kneaded:

Day 1, 9:03pm, dough to be left to ferment overnight:

Day 2, 3:25pm, dough fermented overnight:

Day 2, 3:28pm, back of fermented dough:

Day 2, 3:29pm, 1/3 of the dough cut out:

Day 2, 4:51pm, small dough moistened:

Day 2, 4:54pm, small dough stretched on an oiled pan:

Day 2, 6:30pm, small dough risen for 40 minutes:

Day 2, 6:36pm, small dough half baked:

Day 2, 6:36pm, back of half-baked small dough:

Day 2, 6:42pm, naan baked:

Day 2, 6:43pm, back of the naan baked:

Observations:
1. It's all too obvious that naan doesn't look like this!
2. I do not know if the browning is due to the oil or the bran in the flour. But I am sure that the oil has fried the dough at 500F. So next time when I try it, I must avoid using oil.

This is what my husband says: "it tastes pretty good. Just that it's not naan."

No comments:

Post a Comment